When It Is Worth The Proverbial Good Fight




Sometimes we fight too hard for something from which no good can come. Sometimes we don't fight hard enough for what could be one of the best aspects of our life.  I find this is especially true in friendships, love, and athletics.

In 36 years, I know there is no formula, there is no flashing neon lights to help guide the way.  We simply have our mind, our heart, and our intuition.  And those three things can be a deadly combination, often at odds with one another.  However, through trial and error, clarity often does start to creep into one's decision making.

Nothing in life that is good or true is easy, and it is in that fight, where the end result will be the best thing to happen to you, that you often find yourself, and perhaps even what was missing for oh so many years.

...like smiling bigger and broader than normal
...like going out of your way to do something out of want, not necessity
...like finding so much joy and happiness in the smallest of moments
...like actually being content (in a good way) with what is
...like visualizing each day being bigger and better than the day before
...like new experiences to be shared
...like feeling ok just being you
...like feeling important and cherished

So, I guess the above deals with relationships (and friendships).

But let's talk about running because I feel like I haven't mentioned anything about fitness in the last few blogs.

Injury...it sucks.
There is no other way to put it.
It often deals its blow at a time that is anything but convenient. For instance, for me, it came this past month and a half, and has taken me out of both the Hall of Fame and Youngstown Marathon weekends.  For me, it came as the weather has turned to perfect running weather and my schedule started to calm down.  But, I can't change injury. I can only accept it for what it is and understand there is something to be learned from it.

Through injury, and chats with my PT (who happens to be one of my best friends) I remember that running does not define me. People do not (or should not) like me based on past talents, for yes, that is a small part of my identity, but it is not the most important part. It is not the part of me that is a mother, a daughter, a teacher, a friend, a girlfriend, (and dare I say) a writer.


As I start to toss around the idea of starting back to hitting the road and trails, I have accepted that I am not what I was, but I am what I am now, and I can make strides to better myself for me.

With that being said, this process of rebuilding is definitely worth the good fight in many ways.
1.  I will feel better about myself
2.  I will re-fall in love with a sport that I came to loathe the past few months
3.  I will take away new lessons with each literal and figurative footstep

Food for thought to end this post:


It is time to see what I am made of and not CHANGE, but improve the me that already is!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/15/2023: Another Life Changing Day

The Day Life Changed

Cleveland (Half) Marathon 2022: All the Feels