The Power of (Square) One

There is something humbling about starting over, starting from scratch. June 19, 2017 was the beginning of a new journey for me with respect to two major avenues in my life:  nutrition and fitness.

Before I explain these new beginnings, I have to address me.

To start over one has to be ready not just physically, but also mentally.  Prior to Monday, I was not ready in either capacity.  I was on a mental (and physical) break from nutrition and working out.  When I was forced to take a break from running, I took a break from pretty much everything that was associated with staying active/fit/healthy, and that is ok as sometimes breaks are needed to re-fall in love with things and re-learn to appreciate them.



First, let's talk nutrition.
While on vacation in California I happened to come across a post from a friend, Stephanie, who was taking on clients to help in whatever way needed.  That post could not have come at a better time, because as I read it, I knew I was ready to get serious about bettering me.  My meeting with Stephanie went fabulously, and I am feeling confident in my ability to get my eating and weight under control.  It is nice to have Stephanie by my side while on this journey.

So far the nutrition has been awesome.  I am writing everything down, eating real food, and staying full, not craving junk like chips. The best part? I can still have some ice cream or a beer or a glass of wine!

Second, let's talk running/staying active.
Prior to Monday, I have not run (or done anything) in one and a half months...it is kind of crazy.  I often struggle between missing and not missing running, wanting to be a good runner again vs. just wanting to run for fun.  Luckily, I still have a while before I have to make some hard decisions with respect to running (and I have someone to help me out on this part of my journey too).  Being on the injured reserve list teaches one a lot and makes one do a lot of soul-searching.  On Monday, I biked for the first time in FOREVER. Tuesday, I got through one mile of running (VERY SLOWLY). Back in the day I would not have been happy with this and it would not have been good enough and I would have undoubtedly cried myself a river, having a pity party.  That is NOT what happened this time, which is refreshing.  I was accompanied by a most amazing person on two out of three runs this week. This person helps me to understand that running is a small sliver of who I am and that running or being good good at it is not why people should like me.  There is so much more to me than that.  It was comforting knowing that even though I was not going to make the 1.5 miles I originally set out to run on Monday, I was making progress.  As much as it is important to be able to do things on one's own, it is even better to have someone by your side, especially when that person helps to keep a very large grin fixated on one's face.

Fast forward to today, the last day of week one of a better me:  I ran 1.5 miles today!!!
It was awesome that my mom was willing to go to the track with me.  She walked while I ran, and then we walked another 1.5 miles together.

The bottom line is, when you are knocked down, you have to be willing to be humbled and start from A, or 1, or ground zero...or whatever else you may want to call it.



Mark my words....I will be back...slowly, very slowly, but I will be back!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/15/2023: Another Life Changing Day

The Day Life Changed

Cleveland (Half) Marathon 2022: All the Feels