For the Love/Hate of the Run

It is a crazy concept how much more care-free I can feel (with respect to running and where I currently am) while on vacation in contrast to how I feel this week back on my home turf.

Injury has not been fun, and being knocked back to square one, while humbling and a new journey, has been a bit frustrating this week.  

I miss being able to run for hours.
I miss the trails.
I miss feeling like death in 50 milers (but then feeling the thrill of the finish) and two 100 miler attempts.
I miss leg turn over (which I guess means I miss speed).
I miss endurance.
I miss just missing a BQ in my marathon and knowing I was soooooo close.

It is ok to miss that short list and things that aren't listed, because (I think) that is normal.

Flashback to vacation week in Florida:
On a positive note, I finished a 5k on the 4th of July in Florida...pain free.  Yes, it may have been my slowest 5k ever:  29:32 (I will say I am no longer ashamed of times....a finish is a victory for this girl at this point) but it was still fast enough to get me 4th overall female.  When running in Florida, 90 degree temps and 100% humidity throws in a whole other element to running.  I assure you, the worst humidity you think you have felt here in OH, is nothing compared to the air you can cut with a knife down south.



While in Florida I also completed four total runs, all ranging 3 miles to 3.6 miles (my longest run in 2.5 months). There was something beautiful and enlightening on these runs though...the beach...the sunrise...the romance found in how the ocean never tires of the shore...perhaps the carefree attitude came with the beauty and serenity of the scenery.




Fast forward to this week:
I have run four times thus far, 3.1 miles being the longest, 2.1 miles being the shortest.  I have biked four days this week, ranging from 45 minutes to 80 minutes, which is one reason my legs may feel a bit more tired than while on vacation.  My thought process is if I can't spend hours on my legs running (like in the past) the bike has to help with endurance and getting turn over back (right!?) even if it makes my running slower and more tedious.


I run with caution now instead of a care free attitude, which, again, is to be expected.  This process, no doubt will be a long and slow one, so I must keep persevering, and persevere I will.

On to tomorrow.

One side note:  
I just filled out an exciting application and have my wings crossed...news will come mid-August!!!!
#headupwingsout


Comments

  1. Great blog post! Running is always full of peaks & valleys. Injuries are frustrating. Looks like you are making a rebound!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

9/15/2023: Another Life Changing Day

The Day Life Changed

Cleveland (Half) Marathon 2022: All the Feels