The Continued (Quiet) Struggle

In February I posted about my health issues.
This is the "new part" of that story...


I left off knowing I was going to the PA at the endocrinologist's office (I could not see the actual doctor as his first available appointment is Nov 2020).  When Mark and I went, I spent 40 minutes re-living the "hell" I was going through.  She seemed interested/concerned, asked follow up questions to my very detailed story, and offered hints as to what could be causing my struggle. She had me referred to get blood work, and said we would be in touch. I left feeling optimistic.

That optimism turned into frustration when the receptionist (not the PA) called and informed me my blood work was fine, but I was going to be put on Synthroid. I asked why I was being put on a medicine if my blood work was fine, she said she didn't know. I asked her to find out.  I asked what the side effects are (because if there are side effects...I get them x10).  She reminded me she isn't a doctor.  I asked her to please get this information and call me back. After two days, she returned my call and said there are minimal side effects and I should be fine, and I am taking the medicine to see if it helps my symptoms...I was not satisfied with this and asked if the doctor could call me or if I could come in to discuss this face to face. I was told there was no need for either...make an appointment for April and we will talk then...then Covid...then the drs. office closed, and my appointment was pushed back to August and it still wouldn't be an in-person visit.

Since the last blog I have been on the same birth control pill, lo-lo estrrin fe, with no sort of period regulation. I guess I don't have (as many) headaches, which is good, but as a female it is really annoying to never know when you will get your period.  You may be reading this thinking , you get it the last week of the pill container...obviously....well that is not how it works for me.  Last month, for instance, I had my period every other week.  So, through video-conference (because again, no in-person visits are allowed due to Covid) my PA decided to switch my birth control AGAIN...I asked about side effects and was told this one has very few, but when I get the pamphlet it is the longest list of side effects I have EVER seen on a medicine. I felt so overwhelmed and lost...

In mid-July I went with Mark to his yearly physical with our PCP...we LOVE her...she always asks about me when I am there, so I started to rant a little, and we decided I should come in for a yearly visit.
On Friday, I went to see my PCP...and told my story from the beginning.  She confirmed my blood work looked good and couldn't think of any other tests to run.  She was very concerned about my weight, as I am now in the "obese" category...she (and I) are confused based on my eating and exercising habits how this has happened.  I write everything down, so I was able to show her my walking/running/workout logs...my self-kept weight log (in which I have only lost FOUR pounds in THREE months...which is NOT normal).  We talked about my (still) always being tired and having horrible dreams, my getting up between 2 and 5 times a night to pee...she seemed stumped.  We also talked about how I don't love my PA at the ObGyn, and we decided I am going to switch to the primary Doctor in the practice.  We also discussed menopause/pre-menopause, but she does not think this is likely as I am only 39.  After me crying about everything, she reminded me that weight loss (and everything in life) is a marathon not a sprint, and to maybe look at it in the light of what my body would be if I weren't doing what I was doing...this statement I get, but it frustrates me...I shouldn't have to walk/run 3-9 miles daily plus do BeachBody videos to maintain...I SHOULD be losing weight based on my activity coupled with my tracking on Weight Watchers...she said she agreed and understood, but was just trying to be positive.

After some more discussion she asked if I have ever been talked to about PCOS...I said no.  She filled me in that there is no "test" to verify one has it and no "for sure treatment" for it, but a lot of my symptoms seem to be aligned with those of PCOS.  She asked if I would be willing to try a new medicine, metformin, to see if it can help combat some symptoms. I really would rather NOT take medicine, but I am willing to try anything to get myself back to being happy/normal.  Metformin is traditionally used to treat diabetes, but we will be trying it for three months, taking me off birth control and syntroid, to see how my body reacts. I will also be canceling my follow up with the PA at the endocrinologist's office, and will put off seeing the the primary ObGyn doctor until after my three months on metformin.

In typing this I have been angry, sad, frustrated, which mimics how I feel on a daily basis.  I miss running being easy...I miss being able to do runs without walk breaks, but that isn't where I am right now.  This morning I scrolled through FB memories, which I tend to do on a daily basis, and there were a TON of racing pics of me from years ago.  Was I super skinny (yes, although I probably would have argued up and down that I had weight to lose )...was I healthy?  I would answer no to that...I was a whole different kind of unhealthy back then, but that isn't today's story.

So really, since February I have not learned much new other than I am considered "obese" and might have PCOS.  Luckily, my husband and mom are uber supportive...because let me tell you...there have been some major cry fests (mostly with Mark) and many by myself.

I really just would like answers, but it looks like the answers elude me and the professionals for the time being...

This above quote is something I really need to work on...like REALLY REALLY need to work on.
Thanks for reading, and thanks for any good vibes you may send my way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/15/2023: Another Life Changing Day

The Day Life Changed

Cleveland (Half) Marathon 2022: All the Feels