The Struggle Continues




As many of you know, I have been diagnosed with PCOS.  It is a gem of a disease that really is different for each person diagnosed as is how it is dealt with.  

Thanks to my first two prescriptions (metformin and spironolactone), we seem to have gotten my periods to be predictable and not as bad, which is definitely a win; however, the back pain and getting sick (I will spare you the details) prior to my period are still there and at times unbearable.  I also notice I have dark circles under my eyes almost always (another PCOS symptom).  

Of course, one of the most trying symptoms of PCOS is weight gain, and it is with this symptom I struggle with the most.  Every time I go to my PCP or my ObGyn, we talk about how I am in the Obese category and how this is unacceptable.  I know this.  It breaks my heart and mind to be in this category. I literally cry about it at least once a week (shout out to my amazing husband for dealing with me).

I do so much every day to combat this label: I work out between 60 and 90 minutes daily, monitor what I eat, avoid alcohol 90% of the time and sugar, and honestly eat pretty darn clean.  I mean I literally write down everything that goes into my mouth (I mean for the Browns game while everyone was eating pizza and wings, I was eating veggies and shrimp).  

So, last week at the PCP we talked about my need to lose weight to be a more healthy me, and then today, my ObGyn again addressed the fact I need to lose at least 20 pounds (as a starting point)...and I want to...I do everything I know to do this, and I am not/have not been successful...and now...I FEEL LIKE A COMPLETE FRAUD.  I am not ready to fully write about/explain this statement, but in time, I will.  I know we should not worry about being judged by others, yet, in today's society...isn't that a lot of what we do: judge?  

After today's doctor visit I learned a hysterectomy is NOT on the table NOR is an endometrial ablation, but I learned WHY they are not on the table. 1. The primary Dr. in the practice is NOT a believer in surgery and feels any progress is progress and thus surgery is not warranted, and I have made some progress. 2. After an EA, if it does not work, the only option is hysterectomy; EA's tend to only last for 2-3 years.  3.  keeping or taking the ovaries both present more possible problems than solutions for my health.

I will continue to combat my obesity, in fraudulent and genuine ways. I now have appointments every month with my PCP  to continue to monitor progress and the ObGyn is taking a back seat unless we see regression in my periods again.  

The struggle continues...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/15/2023: Another Life Changing Day

The Day Life Changed

Cleveland (Half) Marathon 2022: All the Feels